The Cap and Gown Leader Award honors members who have contributed to the Cap and Gown community and demonstrated the values of Cap and Gown.
All active members are eligible to receive the Cap and Gown Leader Award. Those interested should submit evidence that they have met the requirements below. Award recipients will be honored at the Graduation Tea and receive honor cords to be worn at graduation.
The requirements for receiving the Cap and Gown Leader Award are as follows:
Be an active member
Be a member of Cap and Gown for at least two years, one of which is either junior or senior year.
In addition, Leader Award applicants should attend Winter Welcome and Spring Brunch each year of membership. Absence is excused for those who are not enrolled in classes held on the Palo Alto campus or have an exam at the same time; other absences may be excused on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Actives Executive Board. Unexcused absences may be made up completing an additional activity determined by the Chair of the event that was missed.
Contribute to the Cap and Gown community
Leader Award applicants should contribute to the Cap and Gown community in two or more of the following ways:
- Bringing three undergraduate students to one or more events over the course of the year.
- Contributing to social media (e.g., Facebook, Twitter) supporting the mission and vision of Cap and Gown with posts totalling a minimum of five-hundred (500) words. (Photographs are not included at all in the total word count, though photo captions may be.)
- Meeting with an alumni member of Cap and Gown.
- Writing a blog article for the Cap and Gown blog.
- Suggesting an alternative activity aligned with the mission of Cap and Gown, earn the approval of the Leader Award Chair, and executing it.
Leader Award applicants should also contribute to Cap and Gown events and activities through fulfillment of responsibilities in each of the following categories:
- Actively support the operations of Cap and Gown by achieving at least one of the following:
- Holding a position on the Actives Executive Board or as an Actives Chair.
- Serving a role that supports the operations of the Actives Board.
- Hosting an event for Cap and Gown members.
Applicants for the Leader Award should demonstrate major leadership responsibility outside of Cap and Gown through at least one of the following:
- Serving as a member of a board of a student group; as captain of a sports team; as director of a performance; or as the chief individual holding another responsibility as proposed by the student and approved by the Leader Award Chair.
- Showing dedication to two (2) or more activities, such as through a member role on a University committee or student group; as the lead in a show; as a tutor or research assistant for two (2) or more quarters; or as the individual member demonstrating dedication to another pursuit as proposed by the student and approved by the Leader Award Chair.
Showcase academic excellence
Leader Award applicants should demonstrate academic excellence by achieving at least one of the following:
- Graduating with a minimum GPA of 3.7.
- Receiving an honor within academic major or other departmental recognition.
- Completing an honors thesis.
- Demonstrating significant contribution to the academic community (e.g., through a portfolio of work).
Serve your Stanford community
Applicants for the Leader Award should demonstrate commitment to serving the Stanford community through leadership or service.
Apply for the Leader Award:
Submit a statement detailing the ways in which the above criteria have been met and include a biographical statement highlighting leadership experiences, academic pursuits, and service to the Stanford community.
Applications will open during Spring Quarter.