What is Cap and Gown’s mission?
The mission of Cap and Gown is to cultivate and empower women leaders by bringing together members of the Stanford community who demonstrate and celebrate women’s leadership. We connect active women leaders on campus to our successful alumni through meaningful service and networking events. With over 2,000 alumni in a variety of fields, Cap and Gown promotes women’s leadership across the world.
Why should I join Cap and Gown?
Cap and Gown allows you to:
- Network with Cap and Gown alumnae across various professional fields, including medicine, law, business, engineering, public service and many more;
- Learn from women who share your Stanford experiences and can lend a hand in finding resources to help you excel;
- Find leadership opportunities on campus and after Stanford;
- Join a class of accomplished, motivated, and diverse role models for Stanford women; and
- Become part of a legacy of esteemed alumnae such as former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, Marguerite Blake Wilbur, and Edith Mirrielees.
Who is eligible for active membership in Cap and Gown?
All Stanford undergraduate students.
What are some responsibilities and expectations of actives?
Actives are expected to maintain a vibrant role in the organization. They are expected to brainstorm, plan, organize, and run events aligned with the mission of the organization. Here are some current and upcoming events hosted by Cap and Gown.
What is the role of Cap and Gown alumnae?
Cap and Gown is a lifetime membership. Upon graduation, actives become alumnae of the organization. Cap and Gown hopes that its alumnae maintain an active role in the organization, whether through planning and supporting events or by being a mentor.
Does Cap and Gown have an application process?
No, any and all students are encouraged to join. Prospective members are invited to become members after attending a fall event and paying a small dues fee to cover the cost of events. Actives are expected to attend all alumni events (one per quarter). Actives may also apply for the distinguished Cap and Gown leader award; this is separate from general membership.
Who do I contact for more information?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for our mailing list!